Welcome to our blog!

Thursday, March 31, 2022

New Ways

 It’s been along time since the last post, honestly at that time I might’ve even thought that that would be my last post and I was just done blogging. And the truth is my purpose for being here is different than that of a typical blogger. I have left social media, temporary early… But maybe even long-term. But I find myself often in situations where I want to either remember or share some thing but since I’m not on Facebook anymore, I’m not sharing it there! Photos that I might want to save, memories I want to remember… They’re kind of just being left in the dust at this point. I don’t care that anyone else sees it, I want it for me and my family. 


 So, I decided I am going to start posting things here! Again… Nobody looks at my Blog anymore, so this is for me and our family’s memories. Then, I guess later I have reference if I do want to share it with someone, but this is for me.


Tomorrow we leave on a road trip. It was supposed to happen last year, but because of crazy schedules and not having money… It didn’t happen. Early this year I really just felt a nagging, that we need to go. I don’t know how we would make it happen because her financial situation certainly hasn’t changed! But in talking to Duck about it and realizing really the main cost was gas… And that Duck would be here alone without us for two weeks, he could do extra roadie deliveries and hopefully make up that cost. After figuring out all initial costs the whole triple cost about $1000 and Duck feels pretty confident he can make that. Yes, a couple hundred can come from grocery budget, and 100 can come from gas budget… So really he just needs to make around an extra 700. Hopefully he has some good delivery days and that will happen so I don’t have to stress about any money we are spending! 


Also, this morning as I was writing in my journal and praying… Thinking about how this is probably the last road trip that Maliyah and Kyson will be going on with us, and even if one of them ends up going on another road trip with us… It’s likely the last one with all six of my kids together. Truth is that really breaks my heart and makes my wish I would’ve started doing this a long time ago! Granted, we’ve done road trips for years… My very first one along with the kids was going camping with our ward in Kenai Alaska. Kyson was only four months old. I remember being afraid to drive that four hours through the Alaska wilderness, that I might have to pull over to nurse my baby and some bear or moose might come and attack our car! Lol, I know crazy  outrageous thoughts… But that was the reality. 


Then, our move to Klamath Falls. I only had to drive from Seattle to Klamath Falls, and was caravaning with Duck and his dad driving the moving truck, but still… That was a far drive for me, longer than I had driven before. At least by myself.


The biggest one of all though, the one that gave me confidence that I can travel with my kids, was my first drive from Klamath Falls to Utah. 12 hours. I mapped out every inch of that trip! Every gas station, every rest are… So I knew where it would be safe for me to pull over and rest if I needed to. Where my kids could have a diaper change or get out and take a break if they were being fussy. The amazing part of that trip, we stopped once! I didn’t get tired, we stopped for a break at a park in Winnemucca for lunch and a potty break  and that was it. Seriously amazing. That started a series of driving to Utah almost 4 times a year, staying for weeks at a time, driving to New Mexico to visit Grandma, driving to Colorado to see Jordan, driving to Northern Oregon to visit Danielle, driving to Monticello to visit Janine. Stopping in Elko on the way to Utah to visit my cousin Seth who has now passed away. Stopping in Burley to visit Grandma and Grandpa Wood, taking little mini camping trips with just me and the kids, and then all of that coming together with experience to start us on our road trips. Just the kids and I, occasionally Duck will join us for a few days like when we went to the Grand Canyon and to Glacier National Park.  But, mostly just me and the kids, 2 to 3 weeks at a time… Exploring states, trying to be somewhat spontaneous, hoping the car doesn’t break down because I wouldn’t know what to do with it!


Now… 16 years later, almost 17 from that first little road trip in Kenai Alaska, we’re finishing up with our last one that will include all the kids. Now, we still have Nauvoo this summer and that is with Duck… I’m talking about just my road trips with me and the kids. I might get lucky, Kyson and Maliyah might both be home for a little bit after their missions and we might get to go on one more adventure… But the reality is, this is probably the last.


We will be traveling all over Nevada, this years trip  different than most other years as we are going to just sleep in the van, camp only in dispersed campgrounds that are free, hoping to occasionally find a shower, and bringing almost all of our food because we can get it free from BCS and that’s what makes this possible. Bringing a little porta potty, an extra gas can and the luggage rack on the back hitch. All different things, but this will be a grand adventure… As stressful as it has been to pull together because I just haven’t had the time I needed. We need this. My kids need this. I need this. I pray for patience, understanding and love so that this can be the best road trip ever… and not because of what we are seeing, but because of the time spent together.




No comments: