Welcome to our blog!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Solar System Home school project

First I had to post this picture. I don't bake, not much anyway. It's not really something I love to do and the only way I do love it, is if I'm creating something CUTE out of those baked goods. For a relief Society activity we were supposed to bring our FAVORITE thing to eat or cook. Well since I didn't really have a favorite since I don't really like cooking/baking I decided I would throw in something I DO like. Paper crafting! I always see the cute cupcake toppers that people make and decided to try my hand at it. Luckily I just happened to have downloaded and kept these little toppers. Perfect!



For school we are studying the Solar System and outerspace. Our first project is the solar system and it's been really fun. Each day we take a Rocket ride to our destination (starting with the sun) and then we learn about that place. Once we are done learning about it we get to create that planet/sun/moon. When we are done creating them then we will hang up the whole thing. And then we'll move onto the stars and constellations!

Our Sun is made of a $ bouncy ball that we decoupaged yellow and orange tissue paper all over.



 

 

Next was Mercury. Since it's so small we just used modeling clay to make circles and then the kids created the craters all over them. It takes a couple of days for the clay to dry so we didn't get to paint it until later.



 

 
We have since painted mercury, finished venus and earth, and started on Mars. It's been really fun to not only learn about all the planets, but come up with creative ways to make them! I can't wait to get them all finished and hanging up together! I knew it might take 3 weeks to complete so we just have to be patient! When it's all done of course we'll take pictures of the finished models, but in the mean time most of the pictures will just be of the process.

No comments: