Welcome to our blog!

Sunday, March 8, 2009

The prophet said to plant a Garden! So we did. 3-7-09

Saturday after Janine was gone, Duck was also gone! He left all day to go play with some friends for another 30th birthday celebration (three of them are turning 30 this year). So I wanted to do something fun with the kids. I had been promising Maliyah all week that we could go and do the craft at Home Depot. After jaydens rough night last night I hesitated to go, but he was acting okay so figured we could risk it. He did take a really early nap though, so instead of going at 9:00 like I planned, we got there at 9:40, which I didn’t think anything of since the craft goes until 12:00. Well we get there, kids all excited, we see other kids coming out with their really cool race car track (like a mini pine wood derby track ) and just to find out they were out! They already had ran out! I couldn’t believe it! And now I had to figure out how to explain to my five and three year old who have been looking forward to this all week, why we couldn’t do it.

Of course the solution was to find something we could do as a craft at home. Not a problem, I do this kind of stuff all the time…but I hated that I just wasted all that time to get there and find out the FREE craft we were going to do was gone. Well Maliyah had the idea to plant some seeds (sparked by a suggestion of an associate in the store that so kindly asked if the kids did a craft today!) I had wanted to start some herbs and veggies anyway so I thought that was a good idea. $30.00 later our FREE craft day turned into quite the gardening project!

It was really fun though, I let the kids each paint their own pot, fill it with dirt, put in their seed and water their plant. After about two minutes Kyson says:

"It’s not working!"

Oh how to explain to a three year old in this day of technology and instant everything that it’s going to take some time to grow!

Maliyah picked out some daisy seeds, Kyson picked out pumpkin seeds, and I got cherry tomatoes and Oregano. I am super excited to have them, and look forward to starting more plants…after I replenish all the paper cups I hunted for around the house to finish starting all the seeds!












Here are our finished painted pots. I made sure they kept theirs simple....we could have been at this all day had I not! But of course secretly on the side I had fun with mine!


They also each helped make their flag to label what they planted






No comments: